We know that children learn best when they feel safe and are safe. Children’s safety and wellbeing is central to the work of ELAA in its many capacities. As a peak body for early childhood education services, ELAA plays a leadership role in child safety.
- The safety and wellbeing of children will always be our first priority; it is fundamental to their ability to learn and develop.
- We are committed to the participation and empowerment of all children.
- We support and respect all children and uphold their rights to feel and be safe at all times.
- We have zero tolerance of child abuse. All allegations and safety concerns will be treated very seriously and consistently with our robust policies and procedures.
- We follow our duty of care and legal obligations to contact authorities when we are worried about a child’s safety.
- Our organisation is committed to preventing child abuse, identifying risks early, and removing and reducing these risks.
- Our organisation has robust human resources and recruitment practices for all staff, contractors and volunteers.
- We will ensure that there is an appropriate screening process for all Board members, staff, contractors and volunteers and that they have a current Working With Children Check (WWCC) or that they have a current registration with the Victorian Institute of Teaching.
- Our organisation is committed to regularly training and educating Board members, staff, contractors and volunteers on child abuse risks and how to interact and behave with children.
- We are committed to providing and promoting safe environments for all children, including vulnerable children, where they feel safe.
- We are committed to providing and promoting the cultural safety of Aboriginal children and the cultural safety of children from culturally and/or linguistically diverse backgrounds.
- We will ensure that Board members, staff, contractors and volunteers understand the process for reporting any child safety issues and are supported by ELAA’s appointed Child Safety Officer.
- We are committed to ensuring that Board members, staff, contractors and volunteers understand that child safety is everyone’s responsibility.
- We promote our commitment to Child Safe Standards and support our members to maintain the standards.
ELAA values are demonstrated through this statement:
Excellence: ELAA is a champion of child safe standards and is committed to their exemplary implementation. .
Learning: Children learn best when they feel safe and secure.
Inclusive: Our commitment to providing and promoting safe environments for all children.
Enabling: We support organisations to empower children. We support organisations to succeed in the implementation of the standards and in the protection of the best interests of children.
Integrity: We act with integrity at all times by putting the children’s best interests first.
Respect: We respect the rights and the voice of children.