21 DecSingle use plastics banned in 2023
1 February 2023 will be the beginning of single use plastics to be banned from being sold or supplied in Victoria.
The ban applies to single-use plastic drinking straws, cutlery, plates, drink stirrers and cotton bud sticks made from conventional, degradable, and compostable plastics. The ban also applies to food service items and drink containers made from expanded polystyrene.
This will mean that services must check that they are not breaching this ban with their program materials in 2023. Exemptions to the ban include:
- Single-use plastic drinking straws for people who need them due to a disability or for medical reasons
- Single-use plastic cotton bud sticks for testing carried out for scientific, medical, forensic or law enforcement purposes
- Single-use plastic cutlery, where required, in correctional and mental health facilities to prevent physical harm or injury
- Until 1 November 2024 paper or cardboard plates lined with plastic
- Until 1 January 2026 any single-use plastic item that is integrated into food or drink packaging (e.g., a single-use plastic spoon included in a yogurt tub).
Get ready now. Free resources are available by CLICKING HERE.